02 June 2007

The power to bind and to loose.

Preached at 70 Victor Road, Bradford, England.
Published in the Pentecostal Evangel, February 3, 1923.
Faith that Prevails, chapter 3, “Spiritual power.”

Bible Reading, Matthew 16

The Pharisees and Sadducees had been tempting Jesus to show them a sign from heaven. He showed them that they could discern the signs that appeared on the face of the sky, and yet they could not discern the signs of the times. He would give them no sign to satisfy their unbelieving curiosity, remarking that a wicked and adulterous generation sought after a sign and that no sign should be given to them but the sign of the prophet Jonah. A wicked and adulterous generation stumbles over the story of Jonah, but faith can see in that story a wonderful picture of the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord Jesus Christ.

After Jesus had departed from the Pharisees, and had come to the other side of the lake, He said to His disciples, "Take heed, and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees." The disciples began to reason among themselves, and all they could think of was that they had taken no bread. What were they to do? Then Jesus uttered these words, "O ye of little faith!" He had been so long with them, and yet they were still a great disappointment to Him because of their lack of comprehension and of faith. They could not grasp the profound spiritual truth He was bringing to them and could only think about having brought no bread. "O ye of little faith! Do ye not yet understand, neither remember the five loaves of the five thousand, and how many baskets ye took up? Neither the seven loaves of the four thousand, and how many baskets ye took up?"

Do you keep in memory how God has been gracious in the past? God has done wonderful things for all of us. If we keep these things in memory we shall become strong in faith. We should be able to defy Satan in everything. Remember all the way the Lord has led. When Joshua passed over Jordan on dry land he told the people to pick up twelve stones and pitch them in Gilgal, and these were to keep the children of Israel in constant memory that they came over Jordan on dry land. How many times had Jesus shown to His disciples the mightiness of His power, and yet they failed in faith right here.

At one time Jesus said to Peter, "What thinkest thou, Simon? of whom do the kings of the earth take custom or tribute? of their own children, or of strangers?" Peter said, "Of strangers." Then Jesus said, "Then are the children free. Nevertheless, lest we should offend them. go thou to the sea, and cast an hook, and take up the fish that first cometh up; and when thou hast opened his mouth, thou shalt find a piece of money; that take, and give unto them, for me and thee." Peter had been at the fishing business all his life but he never had caught a fish with any silver in its mouth. But the Master does not want us to reason things out—for carnal reasoning will always land us in a bog of unbelief—but just to obey. “This is a hard job,” Peter must have said, as he put the bait on his hook, “but since You told me to do it, I'll try,” and he cast his line into the sea. There were millions of fish in the sea, but every fish had to stand aside and leave that bait alone, and let that fish with the piece of money in his mouth come up and take it.

Do you not see that the words of the Master are the instruction of faith? It is impossible for anything to miss that Jesus says. All His words are spirit and life. If you will only have faith in Him you will find that every word that God gives is life. You cannot be in close touch with Him, and you cannot receive His Word in simple faith without feeling the effect of it in your body as well as in your spirit and soul.

A woman came to me in Cardiff, Wales, who was filled with ulceration. She had fallen in the streets twice through this trouble. She came to the meeting and it seemed as if the evil power within her purposed to kill her right there, for she fell and the power of the devil was rending her sore. She was helpless, and it seemed as if she had expired. I cried, “O God, help this woman.” Then I rebuked the evil power in the name of Jesus, and instantly the Lord healed her. She rose up and made a great to-do. She felt the power of God in her body and wanted to testify all the time. After three days she went to another place and began to testify about the Lord's power to heal. She came to me and said, “I want to tell everyone about the Lord's healing power. Have you no tracts on this subject?” I handed her my Bible and said, “Matthew, Mark, Luke and John—they are the best tracts on healing. They are full of incidents about the working and power of Jesus. They will never fail to accomplish the work of God if people will but read and believe them.”

That is where men lack. All lack of faith is due to not feeding on God's Word. You need it every day. How can you enter into a life of faith? Feed on the living Christ of whom this Word is full. As you get taken up with the glorious fact and the wondrous presence of the living Christ, the faith of God will spring up within you. Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the Word of God.

He gives life, not leaven. God has separated us from the leaven of denominationalism, and we dare not go back to it again. Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees. Beware of the unbelief and worldliness that has gotten into and is corrupting all the denominations. God has made us a separated people, and we must keep separated if we are to retain our power. You cannot go back without being corrupted. If we go back, we will lose our power. If we go on, satisfied with being without the camp, even as He was, we will see more of the power and glory of God in our midst.

Jesus asked His disciples what men were saying about Him. They told Him, "Some say that thou art John the Baptist; some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets." Then He put the question, to see what they thought about it, "But whom say ye that I am?" Peter answered, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus said to him, "Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-Jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." It is so simple. Whom do you say He is? Who is He? Do you say with Peter, "Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God"? How can you know this. He is to be revealed. Flesh and blood does not reveal this. It is an inward revelation. God wants to reveal His Son within us and make us conscious of an inward presence. Then you can cry, “I know He’s mine. He is mine! He is mine!” "Neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal Him." Seek God until you get from Him a mighty revelation of the Son, until that inward revelation moves you on to the place where you are always stedfast, unmoveable, and always abounding in the work of the Lord.

There is a wonderful power in this revelation. "Upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth, shall be bound in heaven; and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven." Was Peter the rock? No. A few minutes later he was so full of the devil that Christ had to say to him, "Get thee behind me, Satan; thou art an offense unto me." This rock was Christ. He is the Rock and there are many scriptures to confirm this. And to every one that knows that He is the Christ He gives the key of faith, the power to bind and the power to loose. Stablish your hearts with this fact. God wants you to have the inward revelation of this truth and of all the power contained in it.

I had been preaching on tnis line in Toronto, endeavoring to show that the moment a man believes with all his heart God puts into him a reality, a substance, a life; yea, God dwells in him, and with the new birth there comes into us a mighty force that is mightier than all the power of the enemy. A man ran out of the meeting, and when I got home that night he was there with a big, fine, tall man. This man said to me, “Three years ago my nerves became shattered. I can’t sleep. I have lost my business. I have lost everything. I am not able to sleep at all and my life is one of misery.” I said to him, “Go home, and sleep, in the name of Jesus.” He turned round and seemed reluctant to go: but I said to him, “Go!” and shoved him out of the door.

The next morning he rang up on the telephone. He said to my host, “Tell him I slept all night. I want to see him at once.” He came and said, “I’m a new man. I feel I have got a new life. And now can you get me my money back?” I said, “Everything!” He said, “Tell me how.” I said, “Come to the meeting tonight and I’ll tell you.” The power of God was mightily present in that evening meeting, and he was greatly under conviction. He made for the altar but fell before he got there. The Lord changed him and changed everything in him. He is now a successful business man. All his past failures came through a lack of the knowledge of God. No matter what troubles you, God can shake the devil out, and completely transform you. There is none like Him.

"Upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." God is pleased when we stand upon this Rock and believe that He is unchangeable. If you will dare to believe God. you can defy all the powers of evil. There have been times in my experience when I have dared to believe Him and I have had the most remarkable experiences.

One day I was traveling in a railway train, and there were two people in the car that were very sick, a mother and her daughter. I said to them, “Look, I’ve something in this bag that will cure every case in the world. It has never been known to fail.” They became very much interested, and I went on telling them more and more about this remedy that never failed to remove disease and sickness. At last they summoned up courage to ask for a dose. So I opened my bag, took out my Bible, and read them that verse, "I am the Lord that healeth thee." It never fails. He will always heal you if you dare believe Him. Men are searching everywhere today for things with which they can heal themselves, and they ignore the fact that the Balm of Gilead is within easy reach. As I talked about this wonderful Physician, the faith of both mother and daughter went out toward Him, and He healed them both right in the train.

God has made His Word so precious that, if I could not get another copy, I would not part with my Bible for all the world. There is life in the Word. There is virtue in it. I find Christ in it; and He is the One I need for spirit, soul, and body. It tells me of the power of His name and of the power of His blood for cleansing. The lions may lack and suffer hunger, but they that seek the Lord shall not want any good thing.

A man came to me at one time, brought by a little woman. I said, “What's up with him?” She said, “He gets situations, but he fails every time. He is a slave to alcohol and nicotine poison. He is a bright, intelligent man in most things, but he goes under to these two things.” I was reminded of the words of the Master, giving us power to bind and loose, and I told him to put out his tongue. In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ I cast out the evil powers that gave him the taste for these things. I said to him, “Man, you are free today.” He was unsaved, but when he realized the power of the Lord in delivering him, he came to the services, publicly acknowledged that he was a sinner, and the Lord saved and baptized him. A few days later I asked, “How are things with you?” He said, “I'm delivered.” God has given us the power to bind and the power to loose.

In another place a woman came to me and said, “I have not been able to smell for twenty years; can you do anything for me?” I said, “You shall smell tonight.” Could I give anybody that which had been lost for twenty years? Not of myself, but I remembered the Rock on which God's church is built, the Rock Christ Jesus, and His promise to give power to His own to bind and loose. We can dare to do anything if we know we have the Word of God behind us. In the name of the Lord Jesus I loosed this woman. She ran all the way home. The table was full of good things, but she would not touch a thing. She said, “I am having a feast of smelling!” Praise the Lord for the fact that He himself backs up His own Word and proves the truth of it in these days of unbelief and apostasy.

Another person came and said, “What can you do for me? I have had sixteen operations and have had my ear drums taken out.” I said, “God has not forgotten how to make ear drums.” I anointed her and prayed, asking the Lord that the ear drums should be replaced. She was so deaf that I do not think she would have heard if a cannon had gone off. She was as deaf as it was possible to be afterwards. But she saw other people getting healed and rejoicing. Had God forgotten to be gracious? Was His power just the same? She came the next night and said, “I have come to believe God tonight.” Take care you do not come any other way. I prayed for her again and commanded her ears to be loosed in the name of Jesus. She believed, and the moment she believed she heard. She ran and jumped upon a chair and began to preach. Later I let a pin drop and she heard it fall. God can give drums to ears. All things are possible with God. God can save the worst.

Discouraged one, cast your burden on the Lord. He will sustain you. Look unto Him and be lightened. Look unto Him now.

Labels: , ,

The Smith Wigglesworth Blog is a production of The Christ Almighty Blog. Come give us a visit.

Search

Recently

Apostle of Faith

  1. “First the blade…”
  2. An helpmeet for him.
  3. “Then the ear…”
  4. Endued from on high.
  5. After receiving the Baptism.
  6. The ministry of healing.
  7. In labors more abundant.
  8. Miracles in Australia and New Zealand.
  9. Visits to Switzerland and Sweden.

Ever Increasing Faith

  1. Have faith in God. (12/22)
  2. Deliverance to the captives. (2/23)
  3. The power of the name. (1/23)

Faith That Prevails

  1. The faith that comes from God. (9/22)
  2. Like precious faith. (10/14/22)

Credits

I started this site ’cause I took a Pentecostal history class in grad school, used several Wigglesworth articles for a paper, and rather than just throw away my source materials, I stuck ’em on the internet. I’ve been adding to them since. Thanks for the encouraging feedback!

Yes, the Wigglesworth articles are edited for spelling, punctuation, paragraph breaks, and verse references. But that’s all. Most of the source materials are transcripts of what he spoke aloud, so I believe such alterations are justifiable. I’ve included scans of the original publications in case you wish to compare. Any further typos are because the OCR software made them and I didn’t catch them. Sorry.

If you come across another version of these articles with significant differences (including in print!) it’s because their editor decided to take further liberties with Wigglesworth than I would. There comes a point when such editing becomes less about Wigglesworth’s own words, and more about editors wishing to reshape Wigglesworth to suit them. Or the times. There are certain things Wigglesworth said and taught where I personally can’t agree, and honestly don’t believe the scriptures back him up. (You want my view, visit Christ Almighty.) But as an historian I’m posting what he said, disagreements or not. I wouldn’t appreciate it if people bent my words in like manner, and I’m not editing him for anyone’s theological sensibilities—neither mine nor yours.

You have my permission to link to this blog, and make fair-use quotations of it. But as for republication, the rights don’t belong to me. Thanks to Disney’s continued lobbying for copyright extensions, they won’t be out of copyright in the United States till 2042—if ever. So the copyrights belong to Wigglesworth, the respective publications, and their successors. All rights reserved.

Bible links go to good old Bible Gateway. Wigglesworth used the Authorized (King James) Version, and any discrepancies are because he impressively quoted from memory.

European readers: It’s only fair to warn you this site uses cookies. Sorry. I didn’t put them there. Blogger did. I still love using Blogger though.

—K.W. Leslie

Powered by Blogger